This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BlueLizardSummer #CollectiveBias
I recently shared a post about 10 things no one tells you about having a baby and one thing I mentioned is how much your skin changes and how I had to alter my skin care routine to help deal with all of those changes. With all the hormones raging through your body to help that little miracle grow, it's no wonder your skin goes on the fritz and starts doing some strange things - it's a bit like adolescence, except you're growing a perfect little tiny human instead of growing up yourself.
With that said, I found that during pregnancy and even now (8 months post-pregnancy), my skin care routine gives me the glow I always longed for. That's right, I'm fairly convinced I've mastered the routine to get the Perfect Summer Glow, even if you have sensitive skin... and lucky for you, I'm sharing it with you today!
1. Exfoliate - To start, you'll want to make sure you scrub your skin well in a bath with a body wash made for sensitive skin and use a poof to make sure you really are able to exfoliate and cleanse the skin.
Here's the thing, having a baby is the biggest blessing in the world... I'm so lucky to finally have my little blessing. She is very well my biggest accomplishment in this life and I'm SO proud of her and so proud of myself for giving life to this wonderful, sweet, little light.
And well, you know, I'm not trying to be a party pooper but everyone only really talks about all of the amazing parts of having a baby. You hear about the happy moments, sometimes even the touching moments, but no one mentions the uhhhh... not so pretty parts of motherhood.
It's true, life isn't all rainbows and butterflies after giving birth - contrary to popular belief. No one mentions that:
1. Your stomach turns into a pillow - I had high hopes that my tummy would bounce back from being stretched out enough to hold a volleyball sized baby to a flat and toned little tummy, but then I woke up from that dream and saw my stretch marks and my giant belly. Not everyone is as unlucky as me, but it's totally normal to have a flabby belly after giving birth.
Honestly, I'm 8 months out and just now starting to feel like I really need to do something about it - i.e. exercise more enthusiastically. Some people are more gung-ho about getting back into shape and those are the people that likely bounce back a little easier. With that said, embrace your extra fluff while also working on your fitness and maybe take a minute or two to cuddle that baby - there's nothing wrong with some curves and the stretch marks will fade, babies don't keep - after all.
2. You're, uhhh, going to be a little damp - Well, honey, I've got some news, you thought that crazy amount of discharge was going to stop when you had your baby - wrong! And... I mean, eventually and unapologetically your pesky Aunt Flo will be paying you a visit again sometime - that's just mother nature for you.
Luckily, U by Kotex Fitness Tampons, Pads, and Panty Liners are a thing - so you're saved! Whether you need protection while toning your core during yoga class or you plan on running a marathon, U by Kotex Fitness are made to fit and form with your body and provide comfortable protection for your busy self.
That's right, you don't have to worry about any nonsense - U by Kotex & Walgreens have you covered! Plus, I have your back - use this rebate offer & save on these postpartum (and all the time) essentials!
3. Watch out... Here comes Big foot! - Yes, mama, I'm talking about you! Okay, well maybe not really but... if you're a shoe hoarder like me you may want to start destashing on ebay while you're pregnant. It's a sad but true fact, your foot grows while you are pregnant and it doesn't shrink back - much like your stomach. The good news is, you now have something to look forward to - shoe shopping!
4. Sleeping in a Pool - This sounds like a luxury vacation... right? WRONG! Another odd but true thing your body does postpartum is sweat profusely at night. I can remember waking up drenched and wondering what had happened, I was cold, I slept without blankets, and still - covered in sweat. It's actually your body ridding itself of all those amazing hormones that helped create your baby... but it's disgusting and you'll probably want a couple of changes of sheets so you don't have to sleep in your own sweat again and again.
5. Go ahead and Start Calling yourself Betsy - If you're breastfeeding that is definitely going to feel like your new name and you'll practically feel like you have udders too. Breastfeeding is such a rewarding part of motherhood but it's not an easy task. At first it hurts... and don't let anyone tell you any differently. Then it's constant, like almost 24/7. You'll want to give up... and it's totally okay if you do - fed is best, after all...then there's always the possibility of engorgement or mastitisis.
But that's all worth it for the benefits of breastfeeding, in my opinion... and the good news is, it all gets better and easier.
6. Want a new hairstyle? Well, you're going to get one. I've always had SUPER thick hair, never had a worry in the world... then I had D. Now my hair is thin, stringy, and gets greasy easier... and somehow lost some of its natural curl. Hair loss is a horrible part of postpartum that I absolutely thought wouldn't effect me... but it did. Oh and did I mention you'll have some hair growth in places you never have before, thanks to those totally awesome fluctuating hormone levels.
7. Party time on the Potty - Well, it's really the opposite of a party... but I wanted it to sound fun. Your first postpartum bowel movement after having your baby will be uncomfortable, to be frank. I was terrified, maybe even more intimidated than I was to give birth. Turns out, I really didn't have much to be scared of. But trust me, you'll be intimidated to poop after having your baby... even if you went while giving birth, which if you didn't know - $h*t happens all the time during child birth and it's totally normal. Oh... and I'm a person that prior to having a baby never even admitted to tooting, now look at me writing about bowel movements on my blog - so I guess you could say your comfort level regarding things like this will likely change as well.
8. Be mindful of postpartum depression and anxiety - Speaking of comfort levels, be aware that postpartum depression & anxiety are both very real. Be careful of the thoughts you choose to focus on and seek help if you are feeling desperate or especially uneasy.
While I luckily didn't really seem to suffer from postpartum depression or anxiety, I've experienced both in my life time and never want anyone to feel that discomfort. While neither condition is preventable, I suggest you take some time and do something for yourself every once in a while, make sure you seek support from your spouse, your family, and your friends, and just try and live in the moment.
9. It's time to discover your new skin - That's right even your skin changes. If you developed stretch marks, those are definitely a huge change so I'm sure you know what I mean. What you don't know is that your skin will likely react differently to your favorite lotion, it may burn easier in the sun, and your skin care routine may need to even be changed to give you the best glow you can get.
10. No longer you - Another thing that no one mentions is you literally are no longer who you used to be. You are "mom" and while that title is a huge honor, it also means you are no longer just living for you. Your life is now ran by a tiny milk-loving dictator and that means you're in for one crazy, sweet, wild, enjoyable ride.
With all of that said, there's one other thing no one mentions... that's the highs. The heights your emotions will reach from watching your child grow and learn. The first time you see your child smile, the first time you hear the word mama, those first tumbling steps towards you... and your heart will swell with a level of joy and pride you've never even dreamed of feeling before, and that... that is what makes it all worth it. That is what motherhood is all about.
Thanks to Kay Jewelers for sponsoring today's post, regardless all opinions expressed below are completely my own.
Believe it or not, Mother's Day is just around the corner...
The day when we celebrate all the wonderful things our mamas do for us. From holding us on their hips, to cleaning faces with their freshly licked thumbs, to creating an epic last minute diorama for a school project the night before it's due, mamas are the perfect mixture of nurturing and helpful. Basically, we are all super heroes - but we run on little-to-no sleep, just try to do our best, and love our kids fiercely. That's why all mamas deserve to be celebrated... Can I get an amen?!
I'm pretty excited to be celebrating my first Mother's Day with Delainey... and I'm ecstatic because I get to spend the day with my mother as well! While I'm still learning the ropes and adjusting to my new "super hero" life as a mother, I'm lucky enough to have my best friend to coach me through it all.
It's funny, our relationship has gone through so much - from her being my entertainment committee when I was a kiddo, to my favorite person to share clothing with during my teen years, and now, well now, she's a friend - my best friend. The bond a mother and daughter share is unlike any other and I feel that way with Delainey and I'm certain my mama feels that way about me (and my sister).
While I plan on spoiling my mama, I was still on the fence about what to get her. Are you in the same boat? If so, here are 4 different items from Kay Jewelers that I bet your mama has on her wish list:
1. From accessories to outfits, we all know your mama always has the most beautiful items, but one thing she needs (and every other mama in the world needs) is Diamond Solitaire Earrings from Kay Jewelers. These timeless beauties are the perfect addition for every mama's accessories collection and every mama I know would go absolutely gaga if she was given a pair of these earrings on Mother's Day.
2. If anyone loves rings, it's my mama... but I know she's not the only one! Is your mama a ring lover as well? Then I'm certain she would love to have this Open Hearts Ring. It's not only beautiful, the design represents giving and receiving love and having an open heart, the perfect representation of motherhood.
3. When you see a piece of jewelry and it takes your breath away, I think it's meant to be your Mother's Day present... right? This Diamonds in Rhythm bracelet is gorgeous and so perfect for any mama, but this is what I have on the top of my Mother's Day wish list. The whole Diamond in Rhythm collection is really on my list--actually, the diamonds are made to be captivating from any angle... which means myself and other new mamas can be chasing after our toddlers and catch a glimpse of these as we are grabbing their precious little hands and be reminded that we are loved and appreciated.
4. Last but not least, we all know the way to a mama's heart is her kids - that's why this key necklace is the perfect gift for your mom on Mother's Day. If you're a dad or son trying to find the perfect present, you've unlocked the answer with this Diamonds in Rhythm Heart Key Pendant Necklace.
Showing appreciation on Mother's Day is what the day really is all about and these are just a few beautiful options offered at Kay Jewelers that will make your mama smile. Do you want to get your mom something beautiful and meaningful for Mother's Day? Check out the Kay Jewelers and find the perfect present for your mom.
Hi, I'm Lauren... and I'm guilty of losing my cell phone around 30+ times a day, I hardly ever wear make up any more, & I sometimes embarrass my 7 month old kid already (as illustrated below).
And... I mean, I can't be the only one who runs around looking for my sunglasses while they are on the top of my head, right?
I've been asked lately about my life and how it's "so perfect"... and literally I laugh out loud each time. While my photos may appear somewhat perfect (some days), my mom brain is in full forceso my life is anything but perfect... and well, today - today I want to make a stand. Today is about admitting I'm a hot mess.
Because let's face it, some moms are able to parallel park and they always have change for the meter, each and every time... and well, some mom's have a car with sand and Starbucks straw wrappers all over the back seat and they can't even park in their own garage. Let's just be frank, we all know where I land on that spectrum.
And... if you're questioning where you land on the hot mess mom meter, today is your lucky day... you found the post to help you identify yourself. BUT let's just say, if you're a true, genuine hot mess like me, you know it. You probably were a hot mess before you became a "hot mess mama", so this isn't anything new... it's just an evolution - at least that seems to be the case for me.
Your husband likely knows you're a hot mess (but luckily he still loves you), your kids definitely know you're the definition of a hot mess mama (but, again, they love you anyways), and well, most likely the other mom's around us know we're hot messes... but hopefully they won't judge us too harshly.
With that said here's 9 signs you're a hot mess mama. But, I'm going to go ahead and let you know right now... there's no shame in our game, my fellow hot mess mamas! It's okay to be a mess, we're all just trying to do the best for our babies. I'm just posting this for fun and games... and well, because I'm a hot mess and this is the type of thing we do. 😂
1. You live off espresso, coffee, or energy drinks (or the like) and could use a constant IV drip of something caffeinated. You take your habit seriously... and the barista at your local coffee shop knows your order by heart. With that said... uhhh, I'm not fancy, so my barista happens to be my hubby, but espresso is my life line.
2. You always have plans for the future... BIG plans. You are great at planning and maybe not so awesome at executing. You aren't the only one with this fault, I'm right there next to you with big dreams and a planner to write it all down in, but when tomorrow comes I'll still be making plans for the next day.
3. You try to multitask, but most of the time you're half-tasking. You spend time on the computer, holding your cell phone, with Netflix on in the background, and your ipod playing some tunes on your google chromecast, while trying to video conference. I'm totally a multi-tasker and some days I'm better at it then others.
4. You always think you have more time than you really do. That upcoming
event, wowwww, that's like 3 weeks away... and then bam, it's tomorrow.
THIS is my life - always. I swear I live in a constant time warp.
*insert twilight zone music here*
5. On that note, you are definitely a hot mess mama if you still have Christmas gifts from the prior year once April hits. Okay, so uhhh, maybe I'm the only one in the world that STILL has my family's Christmas gifts stowed away... and it's the end of April. Now that I'm typing this up, it's official... they are going to be mailed out soon...
6. You have a wardrobe that consists of yoga pants and t-shirts... and dressing up is putting on your jeans. I can't be the only one that feels fancy when they bust out their H&M skinny jeans for a special occasion.
7. You've found unidentifiable substances on your clothing... and maybe even taste tested it to try and identify. I know I've definitely found avocado, num-num crackers, and all kinds of other odd substances on my shirt, thanks to my sweet little hot mess.
8. You're guilty of losing your phone, car keys, or anything else of importance, a couple times a day... and you'd likely lose your head if it wasn't attached. I'm so guilty of losing my phone... it's a constant battle. You'd think I'd learn to take it off silent, but then again, who wants to risk waking up a sleeping baby with a Beyonce ring tone?
9. You own one of those cups that says "SHHH! There's Wine in here"... and you mean it. I may or may not have wine in my cup at this very second. Do you?
Like I said, there's no shame in being a hot mess... luckily, our kids, friends, and significant other's still love us and at the end of the day, I think we all can agree, that is really all that matters. So go ahead and lick your finger before getting that smudge of old food off your kid's cheek and smile. Life is good, even if it is a little messy sometimes.