Speaking of ball games... This year I'm trying something a little different to hold myself accountable, I'm involving my dog in my New Years resolutions. Their loyal little personalities will be the reason I'm able to stick with my resolutions.
I was lucky enough to spend New Years with some of the best dogs I know, not just my own, but my mom's dogs as well, because we were dog sitting. After spending time in a household of dogs, I realized it wouldn't hurt to be a little more like them, hence today's post.
1. Be more outgoing like a silly poodle - I used to be fairly shy when meeting someone in person, but this year I have the goal of changing this. I want to be more like my poodle, he's a "yes" kind of guy and will do anything and is friendly towards everyone. Imagine if we all were more inclined to help others and flash a friendly grin. The world would be a better place if we all were a little more poodle-y. It's easy to be friendly and it goes a long way, in my personal experience... whether you smile and say hello to a stranger or you pay it forward the next time you are standing in line at Starbucks, being friendly is really the only way to be.
2. Don't be afraid to follow your instincts, dogs do it... we should too - Okay, well, maybe the logic is flawed on this one but I bet you can see the idea behind the thought here. This really goes hand-in-hand with #1 up there. I want to stop questioning myself and just do things, keeping my eye on the prize instead of worrying about what could happen. Every dog in my life has had this attitude towards what they desire and most of the time, they get what they want... maybe it'll work for me too? If you show determination, I think things are bound to happen for you... you just have to never give up!
3. Eat well - We feed our dogs Beneful because it has what they need, with real meat as the first ingredient. I'm doing the same for myself in 2017, I plan to add more protein and veggies and less of the other stuff. Adding healthy foods into your diet, isn't necessarily just for weight loss (although it helps), your body NEEDS those nutrients in healthy foods. If you are prone to choosing junk food over health foods, now is the time to start changing your diet, no matter your size! While your adjusting your diet, be sure to look into Beneful for your furry friend.
4. Exercise often and bring your dog with you - This may be my dogs (and your dogs) favorite part of the New Year... more walks means some happy pups in my house! Going for walks, or runs, will make you both feel better and stronger in the long run.
5. Take it easy - On that same note, exercising can be exhausting so be sure to allow your body to rest. Take a cue from your doggies and be sure to fit in some resting time too. Whether you decide to take a "cat nap" on a Sunday afternoon or you spend an entire weekend soaking up the sun, be sure to take a moment and relax so that your body remains healthy and stable!
6. Be a loyal friend- Being a good friend is so rewarding... and a dog knows that as well. Take some cues from your pooch and be there when your buddy needs you. Spend time with your friends, forgive them for their flaws and mistakes, be someone who just listens, and when someone reaches out, be there! Dogs make the best of friends because they do all of this and more.
With all of that said, I think we all can make 2017 great for ourselves and our dogs... it'll just take a little bit of determination (and maybe a treat or two for your little fido). So tell me, what resolutions have you AND your dog made?
Thanks to Beneful for sponsoring today's discussion, regardless all opinions expressed above are completely my own.